This in my mind is truly a failure of the education system. We as teachers get too wrapped up in the required content, or the 'scientific method', which many see as a set of rigid steps that a scientist flows through to achieve a conclusion, when in fact there is no such definitive protocol. I personally believe that the scientific method is simply manipulating a question or idea, working it into new shapes and formats, integrating it into our world, and playing with it in unknown ways. The scientific method IS inquiry, and it should involve students taking control of their own learning, where they go through the cyclical inquiring process and increase their understanding. As they learn to think through their own designs and developments, they gain a sense of self-responsibility that can extend outside of the subject area of science.
I also enjoyed the middle portion of the chapter, because it clarifies for the educator what inquiry in science actually looks like through a set of 'guidelines'. These chiefly revolve around engaging in questioning and developing evidence through such questioning. I think this is an area where students can benefit from some 'hands-on' direction from the teacher, as left to their own devices they may have trouble giving evidence the priority it deserves and formulating their explanations based on evidence alone. The 5th essential inquiry feature is of particular importance in my opinion because through communicating and justifying findings, it gives the budding scientist opportunity to fully form their understanding. I was further encouraged that these 5 tenets share similar themes to what I have written previously for myself about 'good science teaching'. My personal view is that it should involve asking questions, describing events & constructing explanations, and these explanations should be tested against current science knowledge and shared. There is often a lack of openness to alternative thinking and sometimes assumptions get the better of the budding scientist, so fostering a critical and logical mindframe is very important.
Finally, the later section of the reading deals with research on the use of and effectiveness of inquiry. I have read some literature on 'open inquiry', where students formulate their own problems to solve as well as the procedure (basically doing actual science), and while I think this may be an effective technique that could be progressively implemented, I am worried that it could result in a lack of directness and a reduction in performance. So I was encouraged to read the results of the 2008 Seidel et al., study that suggested the ideal form of scientific education to be at least 4 hours of hands on science per week, experienced through multiple curricular outcomes, and in the form of guided inquiry. I feel that open inquiry has its place, but it may be more appropriate for science clubs, science fairs and extension projects after the core scientific goals are met.
So all in all a very though-provoking read this week. I am encouraged to delve more of Rodger Bybee's work and I have found a very educational website on the topic of scientific inquiry called Just Science Now, which contains a large volume of information on the different types of inquiry, and appropriate lessons for facilitating that type in the classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment